EcoLinks & Backyard Actions
Following the lockdown, just as the EcoFest North 2020 was about to launch, we moved as many planned activities as we could online. This enabled people to continue being inspired and informed about reviving nature and living lightly.
Backyard Actions was born, which now continues with as we update it with activities submitted by people like you.
Much gratitude to everyone who's contributed, shared or utilised these ideas!
Video series about native plants
Introducing Tihei Taiao a new series that focuses on different tipu in our taiao. The 3 kaitiaki sharing their taiao knowledge are Riki Bennett, Graeme Atkins and Tame Malcolm. Explore what our tipuna used them for, their kai or Rongoa uses and how to identify them.
Here are some inspiring gardens and gardeners, as well as some older documentaries that are hard to find, but packed with absolutely wonderful gardening information.
Auckland Libraries and Kaipātiki Project are pleased to offer the Livestream of "Film 2040" - a documentary by French filmmaker Damon Gameau who travels the world in search of new approaches and solutions to climate change. Click here to livestream "2040" via Beamafilm and use your library membership card.
Ti Hey Taiao
Eva Scherer of Herb Fairies Academy offers a Herb Fairies Story on Althea - Marshmallow Fairy. A story to share with your kids to enjoy and learn about the local herbs in your backyard gardens. Read more
Upcycle Tutorials by ReCreators - Short video tutorials for kids and the whole family to learn how to sew a pillow, make a T-shirt yarn or sewing kit and many more upcycling tips. Follow them on Facebook to watch more videos.
Alyse Young: "I am delighted to share my Grounding Exercise which I started with everyone at the recent Shamanic Journey on the opening day of the EcoFest North. This is a very potent exercise to practise, it's simple and immediate, bringing all of your energy back into your body and Being. We are born sensory beings, therefore, we are naturally sensitive because we are naturally "connected to everything", not just other people but all living matter, including trees, animals, rocks, & the elements. Read more:
Chakra Mantras by Uttarkashi - This album is a guided mantra practice that will create sound vibrations that have a relaxing and healing effect on all four aspects of our being. They calm the mind, creating peace, tranquility and stillness, hence create space for energy to rise. Listen to the album via Spofity or Apple
- Make your own mask: Olsen Mask for PPE with optional filter pocket: A stylish mask created by a fashion designer, OR Masks by Kutikuti DIY: No sewing required
- Sustainable Living Recipes by Oak and Thistle: follow their Facebook page to view recipes for fermentation, conservation and everyday cooking tips. Julie is a tutor, author and columnist who is passionate about living sustainably in Auckland’s urban environment.
- Craft Library: Plenty of ideas and inspiration for simple crafts using waste materials.
- Winter Garden tips: Learn about raising seedlings here
- Learn about transplanting seedlings here
- Learn about composting with Compost Collective. How about using your eggshells to start new seedlings?