Thriving native plant nursery
A hive of activity playing a vital role in nature’s revival
We eco-source, propagate and pot up tens of thousands of native plants every year to help restore the bush for our native birds, animals and plants, and remove carbon from our atmosphere. Our community-driven, chemical-free kaupapa reflects our regenerative, whole system approach.
We grow a range of native plants (90+ species!) that we use for restoration of our local forest reserves, and to supply to other groups and individuals doing restoration projects. Community involvement and learning are crucial to our work – it is really important to us that there is an educational component for our volunteers when they come to us. We rely on the combined effort of our staff and volunteers to keep our nurseries and restoration work going.
Weekly volunteer opportunities
We provide volunteer opportunities at two nursery sites. Activities include propagating plants, pricking out seedlings, potting small plants, weeding, moving plants, tidying in and around the nursery, and may also be involved in controlling invasive weeds and planting in the local reserves.
A variety of tasks are available to suit different people. Simply contact us to register and turn up at the following times and we will get you involved in our plant nurseries. When coming along please wear closed shoes, bring sun block, sun hat, water and raincoat if it rains. A reasonable level of mobility and the ability to follow simple instructions if necessary. Gloves are provided here but are not personal. Contact us if you have any disabilities.
- Birkdale nursery (nursery & gardening volunteering): 17 Lauderdale Road, Birkdale | Mondays & Thursdays, 9am – 12pm.
- Engine Bay community plant nursery (nursery volunteering): Cnr. Bomb Point Drive & Mollusc Road, Hobsonville Point | Wednesdays, 9am - 12pm.
Activities: relating mainly to native plant propagation, potting small plants, weeding, moving plants, tidying in and around the nursery.
Welcoming all volunteers from 2 June - no registration required
With group restrictions increasing to 100, we are welcoming all volunteers from 2 June 2020. Simply turn up on the day you'd like to join. We would love to see you back to support the planting season as well as the development of the edible garden.
- Monday, 9am - 12pm: Birkdale Nursery & Gardening volunteering, 17 Lauderdale Road, Birkdale
- Wednesday, 9am - 12pm: Engine Bay Nursery volunteering, Cnr. Bomb Point Drive & Mollusc Road, Hobsonville Point
- Thursday, 9am - 12pm: Birkdale Nursery & Gardening volunteering, 17 Lauderdale Road, Birkdale
Week commencing 1 June 2020 is slightly different:
- Monday, 1 June: no volunteering as it's a holiday
- Tuesday, 2 June: Birkdale Gardening volunteering from 9am - 12pm. Please come along and help us progress with our edible garden
- Wednesday - normal volunteering day
- Thursday - normal volunteering day
Health & Safety precautions:
Please note that we take all the necessary health & safety precautions to ensure our volunteers and staff are safe while working with us. Every person on-site is required to register on arrival to allow for contact tracing, we manage physical distancing, high touch points are regularly sanitised and tool sharing is prevented or cleaned in between uses. We ask everyone to stay at home if they don't feel well. Winter is coming, so rug up as it's getting cold and wet.
We are looking forward to seeing you and Thank You again for your ongoing support.